I would like to share with you how God took my idea to support girls’ education in Africa and transformed it into a fountain of many blessings.
This journey began after I read the 2010 Meredith summer reading book Half the Sky, a book that details the plight of girls worldwide. When I finished Half the Sky, I told my mother, “I don’t know how anyone could read this book and not be compelled to do something.” At that moment, God inspired me to take a leap of faith and to share my desire “to do something” with Meredith’s chaplain. This meeting initiated what is known today as Sisters United, a partnership between the Class of 2013 and the Chaplain’s Office that supports the education of five girls at orphanages in Kenya and Ghana. After two years of supporting these girls, we have been blessed with the opportunity to travel to Ghana this December!
On our service trip to Ghana, we will be visiting Beacon House, the orphanage in which our girls live. During our trip, we will be leading a literacy program for the children, creating a garden by partnering with a nonprofit called Slow Food International, and helping build a poultry house layer enterprise by partnering with the NC State Department of Poultry Science. We will also learn about Nobel Peace Prize winner, Lehmah Gbowee’s nonprofit called The Women Peace and Security Network Africa. Most importantly, we will be able to fellowship and share God’s love with the Ghanaians.
I invite you to follow my journey by visiting my blog! I plan to update my blog in the months leading up to the trip and in the months following my return. Join me in learning more about the country of Ghana, our trip goals, and our groups' fundraising efforts.
Thank you for reading!
Michelle :)

Michelle, I want to be just like you when I grow up. You are truly the most inspiring person. I can't wait to read about all the places this journey takes you and Sisters United!
ReplyDeleteIt was so great hearing from you. Take care in doing God's work.
ReplyDelete